Robin Hood Film Strip Viewer



It never ceases to amaze me how much promotional material was manufactured during the release of the various Disney movies. In particular of course for Walt Disney’s Story of Robin Hood (1952). One of my favourites was the beautifully illustrated jig-saw puzzle of Robin and his father at the archery contest, which would have looked stunning when it was first produced. The jig-saw can be seen by clicking on the Memorabilia label.

But above is an item that I would once again appreciate some information on. It is a rather primitive looking ‘cine viewer’ that I presume was made during the early 1950’s in conjunction with the release of the Disney live-action movie.


6 comments:

Clement Glen said...

Robin Hood Film Strip Viewer

Film Memorabilia

Mike Giddens said...

Yes clement , I had two of these in the 50s, God knows what happened to them, I had the one in your photo, great scenes from the film, also i had one that was exactly the same shape but it was for slides, I had Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan but could never find the Story of Robin Hood in slide form, beleive me i tried.gosh i had forgotten these, thanks for the memorie.I never knew about the puzzle either.

Clement Glen said...

How did it work Herns son?

Was it a projector or did you look at the images through the lens?

Mike Giddens said...

Very simple , all you did was enter the roll of film and a little lever on the side would pull down to see each still,the side viewer never had a lever, you just pushed it in and pulled it out one at a time, crude but great to have.
What about "Viewmaster" these were very popular, I never found the "Story of Robin Hood" in Viewmaster Alas.
These viewers were magical , like owning a piece of the film,and the quality was perfect if I get the chance I would love to get this viewer again.

Clement Glen said...

Ah! I remember the Viewmaster. I had many of the Disney films, but they were often models or drawings based on the movies.

I did have a Robin Hood film but it was shots of unknown actors.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Guys

Are there any Blu-Ray/dvd

combo players?
I know you can get dvd/vcr players. Are there any players which will perform both of those dvds together with blu-rays that I can obtain instead of just purchasing a pair of separate players?

Thanks !