Film Script3: A New Sheriff of Nottingham












Script From 'The Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men'

(From the screen play by Lawrence Edward Watkin)

Scene 3: Nottingham Castle Battlements

[Prince John is looking out over the turrets of Nottingham Castle, watching the Crusaders disappearing into the sunset].

Prince John: De Lacy!

[De Lacy steps out of the shadows of the castle].

De Lacy: My Prince?

Prince John: A heavy responsibility rests upon me from this hour. Kings have died on Crusades. The prince in line for the succession needs men about him he can trust.

De Lacy: My lord, I’m yours as blade to hilt.

Prince John: Good! You shall be my new Sheriff of Nottingham. As Sheriff you will enforce the trespass laws in Sherwood Forest, not with Richard’s lenient hand, but to the very letter of those laws. For such a task we will need a larger posse.


De Lacy: We need an army!

Prince John: Aye an Army! An army of hard shooters, men that can feather their arrows at ten score yards, should their prince so much as whisper his command.

De Lacy: Can your estate maintain so larger force?

[Prince John gives an evil smile].

Prince John: Our men will maintain themselves, gathering my new taxes.

De Lacy: My lord, you have a kingly mind.

Prince John: Then bestir you man. I shall look to see the finest bowman in the kingdom, wearing the Sheriff’s livery.

De Lacy: Give me but a fortnight; I’ll have such men enlisted.

Prince John: Good. You shall show me what they can do at the shooting match at Nottingham Fair.

1 comment:

Clement Glen said...

Script From The Story of Robin Hood and his Merrie Men


(From the screen play by Lawrence Edward Watkin)


Scene 3: Nottingham Castle Battlements